Looks like GM has created the Z06X Corvette for a special niche! What is that you might say? How about kicking some serious butt on a track! The concept was created to show the potential of the Corvette Z06. They say “It’s a classic case of form following function.” We have to agree! The recent economy bankrupted GM but it sure looks like the Corvette is untouched by the bean counters. Glad to see that maybe GM may have the correct management team to let engineers and factory workers build the things dreams are made of once again! Read the official press release below!
2011 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06X TRACK CAR CONCEPT Corvette is a mainstay on racing circuits ranging from LeMans to club racing. Chevrolet’s Corvette Z06X Concept suggests a new idea and components for transforming a production Corvette into a serious, closed-course track car.
The Corvette Z06X Concept showcases how an enthusiast can leverage Chevrolet’s expanding portfolio of performance parts to create a full-on track car. Chevrolet teamed with Pratt and Miller, partners in Corvette Racing in the American LeMans Series, to create this track car concept.
“Racing is an integral part of Corvette performance and technology,” said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. “This concept car represents a mid-point between our GT race car and the production Z06, prepared by the team responsible for the Corvette Racing C6.R race cars, and featuring many performance parts owners can choose today.”
The Z06X concept is based on the Corvette Z06 with the 1LZ equipment package, along with the Z07 Performance Package and CFZ Carbon Fiber Package. The 2011 Z06 with the Z07 package creates the lightest production Corvette and includes carbon ceramic brakes and Magnetic Ride Control, while the CFZ package offers body components that enhance aerodynamic down force on the race track, including a front splitter.
The Z06 "X" Concept features competition-oriented modifications including: an adjustable carbon fiber rear wing, a polycarbonate rear window, roll cage, racing seat and safety harness, racing wheels, suspension enhancements – including coil-over struts with fully adjustable camber plates – racing-spec cooling system and more. The radio, carpeting and sound-deadening material are also removed.
The concept vehicle wears a low-gloss Icy White Metallic exterior color, accented with exposed carbon fiber body components and red trim. It rides on black racing wheels and racing tires. The interior is all business, with a racing seat, window net and roll cage-mounted camera system. It includes a racing pedal kit, a Genuine Corvette Accessory.
“It’s a classic case of form following function,” said Dave Ross, design manager. “The exterior color and accents were carefully selected to enhance the Corvette’s racing-influenced design, but there’s nothing superfluous in the Z06X’s design – everything is there for a reason.”
· Low‑gloss Icy White Metallic color with exposed carbon fiber and red accents
· 2011 CFZ‑option carbon fiber package, including splitter and rockers
· Adjustable carbon fiber wing
· ZR1 carbon fiber roof panel and B‑pillar panels
· Carbon fiber raised hood (from the Z06 Carbon Limited Edition)
· Carbon fiber headlamp housings from Specter Werkes/Sports
· Weight‑saving and shatter‑resistant polycarbonate rear window
· Base Z06 1LZ trim
· Radio, carpeting and sound‑deadening material removed
· SCCA‑spec roll cage
· SCCA‑approved window net
· Racing seat with five‑point safety harness
· Fire suppression system
· Driver’s drink system
· Video camera system mounted on the roll cage
· Genuine Corvette Accessory racing pedal kit
· LS7 7.0L V‑8 engine and Tremec six‑speed manual transmission
· Low‑restriction air intake system
· High‑capacity radiator and enhanced cooling system
· New‑for‑2011 Z07 Performance Package, feature Brembo carbon ceramic brake rotors and special brake pads
· Lightweight racing wheels in black; 19‑inch (front) and 20‑inch (rear)
· Michelin racing tires
· Mono‑ball control arm bushing
· Adjustable stabilizer bars
· Coil‑over struts with adjustable camber plates